In May we peeled the entire inside of the top floor; walls; ceiling and floor. We had previously discovered mold in the ceiling wood boards and in the insulation too. Also, the floor heating was laid out wrong and the floor boards did not have enough support. So we had to throw all that out too.
What I find weird with building is that while one space is getting closer to finished, more a home than a building site, another room is being torn down and as far away from habitable as can be. In one and the same space there are multiple things happening at the same time such as ceiling plastered, electricity drawn inside the walls, floor mended and kitchen modules build and put in place. As I have learnt this far it is not a linear process exactly. It is more like a nest of threads being unraveled to then finally and surprisingly come together into a whole. Of course there is a lot of planning that goes into it all, thinking ahead and having a vision of what it will look and feel like, be once it is done. But as beginners we make many mistakes, learn a lot and so things have to be redone and adjusted along the way. This is not the most efficient way to build of course. It costs to make mistakes or to divert from the initial plan, but this is how we learn. The goal is to make fewer mistakes with each project. 🙂